In October 2004, Staff Sgt. Jerome Lemon was killed by a roadside bomb while serving in Iraq. In June 2015, his daughter Jervon graduated with her master’s degree in counseling. Jerome’s sacrifice made Jervon’s success our duty, and through Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation, his dream of a college education for his daughter was realized. Now, the Patriot Pledge crowdfunding campaign seeks to engage everyone to make this dream a reality for other Gold Star children.
Meeting the Need For Educational Assistance
Research from The Lucas Group found that many Gold Star families struggle to make ends meet with sixty percent of surviving spouses earning less than $50,000 per year. This means that even with federal assistance and veterans benefits, it can be difficult to affordably finance a college education for the children left behind.
“We estimate that nearly 20,000 children across the United States have lost an active duty parent in the past 35 years. This represents approximately $500 million in college-related expenses, and we want to help each of those families reduce that burden so that their children can succeed,” said executive director John Coogan.
Beginning July 4, Children of Fallen Patriots Foundation is calling on everyone to join in supporting the children left behind its inaugural Patriot Pledge crowdfunding campaign.
Patriot Pledge: How It Works
The Patriot Pledge campaign will run from July 4- September 11, 2015, dates chosen tosymbolically recognize both the reward of our independence and the price of protecting it. FallenPatriots seeks to raise $35,000 through the online fundraising platformCrowdRise, where donors can contribute, set up an individualfundraising page and recruit family and friends to help them reach a personal goal.
To incite a little bit of friendly competition among military supporters and families, participants canmake their contribution in honor of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force or Coast Guard, or in memory orrecognition of their personal patriot. Donors are asked to join the ranks at the following levels:
- BRONZE: Make a donation to Fallen Patriots in honor of a branch of the armed forces or individual patriot. 100% of your contribution will go toward scholarships for children who lost a parent serving in the military.
- SILVER: Make a donation to Fallen Patriots in honor of a branch of the armed forces or individual patriot AND set up a personal fundraising page.
- GOLD: Make a donation to Fallen Patriots in honor of a branch of the armed forces or individual patriot, set up a personal fundraising page and challenge your social network to support your caus
ake Action No
You can make a difference by joining the Patriot Pledge. Here’s how:
1. Visit www.crowdrise.com/patriotpledge.
2. Make a contribution in honor of a military branch or patriot.
3. Set up an individual fundraising page.
4. Engage your friends, family and social network in helping you reach a personal goal to provide scholarships and educational assistance to children of men and women who died while serving in the armed forces.
Help us reach our $35,000 goal by September 11, 2015 for a very special Remembrance Day.